Sorrento Churches

Address:39-41 Kerferd Ave
Suburb:Sorrento

The Anglican neo-Gothic St John's Church was constructed of limestone in 1874. The transept was added in 1889 and the chancel was completed in 1911. It is located on Point Nepean Road. It is Sorrento’s oldest church.

The Roman Catholic Church, St Mary’s Star of the Sea was built in 1876. This small limestone building was a simple village type Gothic Revival church. A century later it was deemed too small and demolished for the present church. Three stained glass windows from the former building are featured in the main porch of the new church. Located on Constitution Hill Road, a short walk up hill from the Continental Hotel, its siting is noteworthy.

St Andrews Presbyterian Church, Sorrento, built in 1889, is located in Kerford Ave, a short walk up hill from Ocean Beach Road. Records indicate the porch was built in 1898 and the nave added 1906. Photographs illustrate just how little the Church and its neighbouring hall have altered over the past fifty years. This exemplifies a fine intact grouping of church and community building in keeping with late 19th century Christian ideals. The large site not only speaks of the position of the church within its former cultural context but also of the spaciousness of the town in earlier years. Indeed there were many vacant sites along the main street and the transition between commercial and residential functions was less marked.