Glen Arms Coffee Palace / Canberra / Via Sorrento

Address:77 Ocean Beach Road
Suburb:Sorrento

Another prominent corner site on the southern side of Ocean Beach and Kerford Roads has had a very colourful history. It was home to the Glen Arms Coffee shops (built ca 1900), before being enlarged and converted into the “Canberra” Guesthouse in ca 1920. It was later known as Mr Peacock’s. This expansive “Victorian” guest residence had a real presence in the main road. Steps led up to its hilltop position. It was landscaped with cypresses, fashionable at the time (a cypress avenue is still extant in the former Quarantine Station at Point Nepean National Park; the avenue at Portsea is being replaced with new plantings). It was demolished at an unknown date. According to 1978 Shire of Flinders Sorrento Townscape Study the site then became home to a slipper factory which operated in the 1950s. The restaurant Via Sorrento now occupies the site.